Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Beginning

It was January of 2015 that I decided to move forward by improving my health, my attitude to life, and to find a creative outlet that would not compromise my health. I would like to start at the beginning and share my process which I couldn't do at that time because everything was still so raw. My DH( dear husband) my safety net was gone and no matter how lovely my family and friends were to me there was and still is a great hole in my life.

But I started, I became vegan, I started aquavit and then yoga.
 It was to sit at my laptop, research art materials, and then to play. Amazon.ca became my best friend, you don't have to get dressed, you don't have to drive in the winter, you can be sipping on tea, you don't have to curtail your spending, which was one benefit of being single, and it came in a few days.

There were two artists I really loved and they both worked in watercolours.

                Shirley Trevena and Jean Haines.

Three books in particular:

1. Light and Colour in Watercolour -- Jean Haines
2. Atmospheric Watercolour -- Jean Haines
3. Taking Risks With Watercolour -- Shirley Trevena

Jean has a lightness and a fluidity in her work that is inspiring, I played and practised to my heart's content. Shirley's work reminded me of my fibre work, there were lines like sashing in a quilt. I can't show you any of those pieces, being very self critical they ended up in the garbage.

Now for materials. I started with my sister and niece's extras which really helped me get started and then bought a few of my own at Michael's with a 50% off certificate. I love living in Brockville, everything is so close. Of course right across from Michael's is a Starbuck's, Yum!Yum! Love that coffee even if I have to get decaf. Had to lose that addiction later.



No comments:

Post a Comment